Re: open /dev/sequencer: No such device

On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 05:26:24PM -0400, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote :
> On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 05:25:15PM -0400, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> > I have two machines.  One machine is a laptop with a Yamaha sound card.
> > The other is a desktop with nForce2 audio.  Both have the required ALSA
> > drivers loaded, including all the oss legacy emulation modules.  When
> > starting Battle for Wesnoth on the laptop, it gives the error "open
> > /dev/sequencer: No such device" but sound plays.  On the desktop, the
> > same error displays, but I get no sound.  Any ideas why that is?  On the
> > desktop I know that audio works since I can play CDs and movies in xine
> > with sound.
> >
> I forgot to mention that both machines run udev and have the
> /dev/sequencer device present.

Which debian version are you using?? with which software does the error
happen?

I had the same problem before I now use the alsa* packages from unstable
in which the problem (for me) has been fixed. Try a modprobe snd-seq as
root and start the soft to see if the error remains. If no and that you
don't want to use some packages from unstable, add sndseq to
/etc/modules.

HTH

--
Brice Méalier