open /dev/sequencer: No such device

I have two machines.  One machine is a laptop with a Yamaha sound card.
The other is a desktop with nForce2 audio.  Both have the required ALSA
drivers loaded, including all the oss legacy emulation modules.  When
starting Battle for Wesnoth on the laptop, it gives the error "open
/dev/sequencer: No such device" but sound plays.  On the desktop, the
same error displays, but I get no sound.  Any ideas why that is?  On the
desktop I know that audio works since I can play CDs and movies in xine
with sound.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez