Can't login when using kdm (KDE)

Debian / Sarge / main

Just installed KDE. It works but, for some reason, I can't login when using kdm. When kdm login window appears, I enter my local user id and password, the screen flickers a couple of times and goes back to the login window where I can enter Id and password again.

If I quit kdm by selecting console login from the menu, then login as myself (a regular local user) from the regular console, I can start KDE with "startx". KDE starts and works fine.

Any ideas? Thanks

$ cat ~/.xinitrc
exec /usr/bin/startkde

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.