Re: hp dl360 and smart array 6i

I am not sure if this helps you, but I thought I add my experience.

I have recently installed 3x DL380G4s all with the Smartarray 6i
controllers and RHEL 3 Update 3.

I did upgrade to the ProLiant Support Pack for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3
Version 7.30 (including the Smart array driver version 2.36).

http://www1.jpn.hp.com/products/software/oe/linux/mainstream/support/doc/option/array.html

I had to start the installation with the option *Linux dd* and insert the
cd containing the scsi driver. If I remember correctly, than the scsi
driver was included in the Support Pack CD and we had to extract a file -
module to the cd with the dd command

f.e. *dd if=/mnt/cdrom/module.img of=/mnt/cdrecorder*

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/family/model/5561.html?submit.y=0&submit.x=5&lang=en&cc=us
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/101_5561.html#27

We did not install Debian Linux, but it seemed like the procedure would
also work for Debian.

If you can install Debian, but you cant access the scsi discs (probably
raid) afterwards it means you have to patch the kernel. There was a
document available actually describing this pretty good, also we finally
didnt need it.

http://www1.jpn.hp.com/products/software/oe/linux/mainstream/bin/support/doc/option/array/cpq_cciss-2.4.50-30.rhel3.i386.dd.gz.txt
http://www1.jpn.hp.com/products/software/oe/linux/mainstream/support/doc/option/array.html

We had to add additional procedures for the internal Tape drive xx7438c.
On the homepage it explains how to setup a enable-scsi script which would
allow to see and access the tape drive. Also the tape must first be
formatted in the obsr ?? format (or what it was called see front of tape
drive for the label) - you do this in the smartarray setup.

SmartArray/cciss / TAPE Support:
 http://www1.jpn.hp.com/products/software/oe/linux/mainstream/support/doc/option/array/tape_cciss.html

 # cat /etc/rc.d/init.d/cciss-engage
 for x in /proc/driver/cciss/cciss[0-9]*
 do
   echo "engage scsi" > $x
 done
 # chmod 755 /etc/rc.d/init.d/cciss-engage
 # ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d/cciss-engage /etc/rc.d/rc1.d/S99cciss-engage
 # ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d/cciss-engage /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S99cciss-engage
 # ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d/cciss-engage /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S99cciss-engage
 #
 # ls -l /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S99cciss-engage
 lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           29  7月 22 13:15 /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S9
9cciss-engage -> /etc/rc.d/init.d/cciss-engage
 # ls -l /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S99cciss-engage
 lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           29  7月 22 13:15 /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S9
9cciss-engage -> /etc/rc.d/init.d/cciss-engage
 # ls -l /etc/rc.d/rc1.d/S99cciss-engage
 lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           29  7月 22 13:15 /etc/rc.d/rc1.d/S9
9cciss-engage -> /etc/rc.d/init.d/cciss-engage
 # cd /etc/rc.d/rc1.d
 # ls -l S99cciss-engage
 lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           29  7月 22 13:15 S99cciss-engage ->
 /etc/rc.d/init.d/cciss-engage

Make sure only one entry in /etc/modules.conf is for the *alias
scsi_hostadapter1 cciss*.

Finally restart the machine and see if the TAPE drive is seen. Confirm
with *cat /proc/scci/scsi*

If you use HPs UPS f.e the X3000R and you may want to use the SMTP option
then you will need Power Manager version 4.x (not 3.x)

PM4.0
http://www1.jpn.hp.com/products/software/oe/linux/mainstream/support/doc/general/mgmt/ups/pm/v40/index.html

 PM4.0Manual(PDF)
 ftp://ftp.jpn.hp.com/products/servers/proliant/manuals/333101-194-j.pdf

 Download
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/power-protection/software/power-manager/index.html

I wrote this now mostly out of my head, as you can see its pretty messed
up and I might have missed something. Just keep asking and I will try to
remember how exactly we did it.. Note that some of the links I provide are
from the Japanese homepage (I am based in Tokyo ), but you may find the
same info on the English homepage, also HPs homepage is not necessarily
intuitive ;-).

The whole setup should ideally take 2-4 hours if you concentrate on the
points mentioned above, otherwise it might easily take 3-5 days.

Good luck, keep asking when you get stuck (or better before ;-)
You can also see some of my installation notes at my homepage below.

Best regards

Nils Valentin
Tokyo / Japan
http://www.be-known-online.com