Re: Can't login when using kdm (KDE)

rs wrote:

> Just installed KDE. It works but, for some reason, I can't login
> when using kdm. When kdm login window appears, I enter my local user
> id and password, the screen flickers a couple of times and goes back
> to the login window where I can enter Id and password again.

This is an indication that the login session failed.  This is usually
an error in one of the user startup scripts in your home directory.

> If I quit kdm by selecting console login from the menu, then login
> as myself (a regular local user) from the regular console, I can
> start KDE with "startx". KDE starts and works fine.

That is strange.

What errors are logged to the .xsession-errors file when you can't log
into the machine?  There should be something interesting in there.

> ------------------------------------
> $ cat ~/.xinitrc
> #!/bin/sh
> exec /usr/bin/startkde

This is not related to your current problem.  But you will want this
too.  You should additionally have a ~/.xsession file with the
following:

  #!/bin/bash --login
  exec /usr/bin/startkde

The ~/.xinitrc is used by the startx wrapper around xinit.  The
~/.xsession is used by kdm/gdm/xdm when logging in from the graphical
login managers.

Bob