Re: Alt+numbers for special characters (e with acute accent, for example)

On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 12:26:11AM -0400, David R. Litwin wrote:
> > You want to use the deadkeys layout. On my system, I have it set to use
> > the Windows key as a "quick switch" sort of setup. I don't always use
> > the deadkeys, but when I need it I want it to be fairly easy.
> >

> Hmm.... This doesn't seem like quite what I want, but it will do very
> nicely. I've read vaguely about this, but haven't really found a guide as to
> how to do it. How do I go about setting this up? I use KDE 3.4.1, if that is
> of assistance. The reason I ask forthwith is because I'm typoing some thing
> in French and could use this as soon as I can: it makes my life a lot
> easier.
>
> I thank you Kindly in advance.

I am still running XFree86, so I am not sure if this will apply to you.
Based on the version of KDE you are using, it seems like you are on Sid.
Anyhow, in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, I have these lines in the keyboard
section:

        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us,us_intl"
        Option          "XkbOptions"    "grp:win_switch"

I don't use KDE, so I am not sure, but I seem to recall that KDE has its
own way of handling changes to the keyboard layout.  Since I use
WindowMaker and my wife uses GNOME, I wanted something that would apply
in both cases.  However, I know that GNOME has its own keyboard layout
applet and I would surprised if KDE did not.

-Roberto
--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto