Re: Alt+numbers for special characters (e with acute accent, for example)

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 11:56:45PM -0400, David R. Litwin wrote:
> I ask this here because I have no idea how to word it for Google. My
> appologies in advance.
>
> On windows, it is quite easy to insert a special character: For example, e
> with an acute accent (é) is accessed via typing Alt+0233.
>
> Simply, how do I do this on Debian?

You want to use the deadkeys layout.  On my system, I have it set to use
the Windows key as a "quick switch" sort of setup.  I don't always use
the deadkeys, but when I need it I want it to be fairly easy.  If I need
an acute e, I hold the Windows key down, type a single quote ('), which
is not echoed, and then the e, which results in a é.  For a grave e, it
is Windows key held down, followed by a backtick (`) and then the e, for
a è, and so on.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez