Re: Can't install Sarge on an HP NetServer

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:36:04 -0600, bob wrote:
> [...]
> I would upgrade to a 2.6 kernel.  Then install discover, hotplug and
> udev.  That combination has great success detecting hardware and
> automatically configuring it for the system.  Then I would clean
> /etc/modules of unneeded modules and let the autodetection do as much
> of it as possible.

I installed a 2.6 kernel with:
# aptitude kernel-image-2.6.8-2-686-smp
and configure lilo to boot it.
I also installed discover, hotplug and udev.
(Actually it couldn't install libusb, but I don't care because I won't use usb).

But when I rebooted with the new kernel I got:
<0>Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

Which is the same problem I got when I tried to install 2.6 at Sarge installation time.

So, the only kernel that is working for me now is 2.2.20.

Best regards,
Marco Ballini

Libero Flat, sempre a 4 Mega a 19,95 euro al mese!
Abbonati subito su http://www.libero.it