How to compile in Debian?

Suppose you want to compile your drivers for your wireless adapter, which is what I actually want to do. If I am not mistaken, I need a build symbolic link in "uname -r" to the kernel-source, and I need a linux symbolic link from /usr/src where to the kernel source too, which also resides there.

Now, uname -r is for me: 2.6.8-2-686-smp, and the kernel source for a 2.6.8 in the distribution only is found with Debian version 16 (2.6.8-16). Are the kernel source and my kernel compatible?

Well, I am a newbie in Debian, and I am translating the little I know about Mandrake. First think that called my attention was that after a fresh install of Debian, the directory /usr/src, was empty.

I would appreciate any help you can give me to compile my drivers. And yes, I have Googled but without luck.

Teilhard.