Re: Can't install Sarge on an HP NetServer

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:36:04 -0600, bob@proulx.com wrote:

>[...]
> It was not clear if you were using lilo or grub but personally I
> prefer grub so that I can stack up a lot of kernels during testing and
> in cases like this.

I'm using Lilo and I'm not expert with Grub, but I would like to learn using it.

> I would upgrade to a 2.6 kernel.  Then install discover, hotplug and
> udev.  That combination has great success detecting hardware and
> automatically configuring it for the system.  Then I would clean
> /etc/modules of unneeded modules and let the autodetection do as much
> of it as possible.

Ok, I'll try this way.

> If you install Debian Sarge with the 2.6 kernel then you get the above
> configuration automatically.

The problem is that when I tried to install using 2.6 kernel I got Kernel Panic messages, which discouraged me quite a lot. I finally could install Debian but only using 2.2.20 kernel shipped with Woody (vanilla).

Best regards,
Marco Ballini

Libero Flat, sempre a 4 Mega a 19,95 euro al mese!
Abbonati subito su http://www.libero.it