Re: adding modules to kernel

Adam Hardy wrote:
> Right. Having read that and also the man page, I got the following
> advice which confused my simple caffeine starved brain. What do I do if
> I only want to compile a module which I forgot in xconfig? Can I avoid
> the complete compile??

Yes.  This is exactly the same as if you did not use the option
--append-to-version.  But when making additional modules use the same
option with the same argument.

The lever here is the clean is the "do_clean := NO" option.

> Quote man:
>  --append_to_version foo
> [snip.....]
> Please  note that you must run a make-kpkg clean after configuring the
> kernel using make (x|menu)?config, since that creates the file
> include/linux/version.h without the append_to_version data (foo). This
> file won't be updated by the make-kpkg run (make-kpkg creates version.h
> if it doesn't exist, but doesn't touch if exists), so the final kernel
> will _not_ have the append_to_version data in its version number it
> shall look for the modules  and  symbols in all the wrong places. The
> simplest solution is either to remove include/linux/version.h after
> configuring and before compiling, or running make-kpkg clean after
> configuring, before compiling.

Good catch.  In that case I would follow the suggestion and remove the
file include/linux/version.h after and before compiling just as it
said.  It will then be rebuilt with the version including the part
appended from --append-to-version and everything should be consistent.

Bob