Re: adding modules to kernel

Adam Hardy wrote:
> (2) sudo make-kpkg --initrd kernel-image

This is not the question you were asking but...

* Don't use sudo in the above.  Use fakeroot instead.  Much safer.

    fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd kernel-image

  If there is a complain about writing to /usr/src then you need to
  add yourself to group 'src'.  Or you need to fix the already root
  owned files there.

    sudo addgroup yourlogin src
    sudo chown -R yourlogin /usr/src/{linux-source-directory,modules}

* You are not using --append-to-version.  You should because otherwise
  your package versions will be simply 2.6.12 or similar and won't
  have any way to differentiate them from each other.

These questions can all be answered in the docs here:

  http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

> Secondly, why do I need root privileges for make-kpkg kernel-image? This
> step merely creates the kernel*.deb file, I thought.

You don't.  Please don't use sudo there.  Put yourself in the src
group.  Then use fakeroot.

Bob