Re: call for a vote -- should debian-user mailing list replies go to author or to list?

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:22:33 -0400
Hal used the keyboard to craft this:

  >|> When this vision is shared openly, joyfully and with respect to all,
it
  >|> is a beautiful thing.  But when it's shared with snide remarks, put
  >|> downs and arrogance, how is it different from any other Big Brother
  >|> bullying?  Alienating the people you are trying to help will not make
  >|> people understand.
  >|
  >|True guides don't need to share with snide remarks.  As I said to
someone else
  >|in an off-list reply:
  >|
  >|Most, if not all of the people I'm referring to -- the ones that seem
to love
  >|to patronize others who aren't using the same "uber-geek" programs and
  >|systems they are (I guess that makes them feel superior or something),
are
  >|not the creators.  It is merely those who want to piss on the local
trees to
  >|say to everyone else, "Hey, I'm an uber-alpha-geek, look at me with
awe.  Be
  >|as impressed with me as I am with myself."
  >|
  >|The forum then, in a discussion like this, becomes nothing more than a
pissing
  >|contest with some trying to prove their superiority by throwing at the
rest
  >|of us the most excrement.
  >|
  >|Hal

Do you really believe that?

I think it's all about whether you want to have the work done for you, and
be without the choice to do it as you want. Some want to be led, which is
fine, but if you would like a different view from the following dog, you
can step to one side and pioneer a new path or take the lead.

It seems it has nothing to do with being geeky, I certainly am not, and no
one knows it all. That's why Linux, put it out there for everyone to adapt,
modify, improve or wreck, you choose. Linux, the choice system, and Debian
the most of all from what I can see.

It appears to me that you are bringing other things into this vote.

Just enjoy Linux in all its flavours, but remember always that the reason
most of us are here is not because we are geeks, but because we love having
the choice, even if we choose to be constantly learning. Constantly trying
to see how things work, even when we see that we will never have it all in
hand; and hope of that is disappearing over the horizon with its arse on
fire. [are you allowed to write arse on this list?]

Personally, I will always vote for choice, not control. That's what the
vote comes down too. Freedom of choice or control. The latter is
unacceptable for me. There are enough controls in life already.

Charlie

  +++++++
Registered Linux User:- 329524
"We choose our joys and sorrows long before we experience them." -- Kahlil
Gibran (1883-1931)

Starting to really enjoy Linux Debian Sarge