Re: call for a vote -- should debian-user mailing list replies go to author or to list?

On Thursday, 25.08.2005 at 06:32 +0100, Wulfy wrote:

> From said document:
> <quote>
>

>    Freedom of Choice
>
> Some administrators justify Reply-To munging by saying, "All responses
> should go directly to the list anyway." This is arrogant. You should
> allow /me/ to decide exactly how I wish to respond to a message.
> </quote>
>
> Yet you would take away from us the right to choose how we want to
> reply?  "We're right so you should just suck it up and add x key-strokes
> or mouse clicks to do what should be a single-click operation"?

The problem is, if you make the list present the list address as the
Reply-To address, you lose the opportunity to actually reply to the
individual directly, should that be what you want to do!  That's *not*
freedom of choice.

I think the main problem here is that people's expectations don't
necessarily match up with what is considered a robust and reliable
approach to mailing list management.

Dave.
--
Please don't CC me on list messages!