Re: making backup using rsync in home LAN

On 8/24/05, Jiann-Ming Su <sujiannming@gmail.com> wrote:
On 8/23/05, H. S. <greatexcalibur@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I backup my data on my home machine using a rsync script
> ( http://www.tux.org/~tbr/rsync/rsynchowto.html website was extremely
> helpful). The machine runs Debian Testing, 2.6.11 kernel. My OS is on
> /dev/hda and backups are done on /dev/hdb.

You may want to take a look at
http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/
as well.

> It would probably entail installing Samba. Then there would probably be
> a rsync client on Windows on the laptop. Then the periodicity of the
> backups would need to be sorted out since the laptop is not always on
> and not always on my home network -- which probably means a cron job may
> not be enough and a little scrilpt may be needed on the laptop. It's
> backups are to reside on /dev/hdb on my Testing computer. Can anyone
> share his/her experiences regarding this?

Mount the NTFS partition and back it up when you back up the linux
/home partition?

--
Jiann-Ming Su

i would sugges tsimply making a samba share and, assuming your backup server is always on, have the laptop simpy save its backups on that network drive(using windows own backup or any other backup software). If you are not sure when the laptop will be online, it would be difficult for the backup server to know and start the backup, so the easiest way, in my opinion, would be to have the laptop control its own backup process.

if you'd like the server to control the backing up, then you could maybe make a script that pings for the hostname of the laptop, and if successful, it mounts the windows share and backs everything up.

Hope it helps.

--
Take Care

Gautam Bakshi