Re: call for a vote -- should debian-user mailing list replies go to author or to list?

Adam Hardy wrote:
Jon Dowland on 24/08/05 13:54, wrote:

On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 09:56:20PM -0700, David Christensen wrote:

debian users:

I am tired of replying to messages on this list, only to realize that
my reply went to the message author and not to the list.  It is my
understanding that the people in charge of this list think that his
behavior is a feature, not a bug.  I disagree.

You clearly don't know why Reply-To isn't set, so why not google the
list archives and find out? Same goes for every self-confessed newbie
who replied "Yes".

Ironically the first post that comes up in google argues for the munging of reply-to:

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Alists.debian.org+reply-to+set

However after reading the arguments on the page it links to, I have to say I agree that current list behaviour is best. In fact my favourite subtitle from the document is:

Coddling the Brain-Dead, Penalizing the Conscientious

Brilliant!

However my email reader of choice doesn't have reply-to-list, shame on Mozilla.

Agreed. I switched from crash-prone evolution to mozilla-thunderbird a few months ago and noticed this feature missing. Somebody ought to do something! :)

One thing I would like the list server to munge would be the receipt-confirmation header (or whatever it's called). It seems like a large waste of bandwidth and a heavy punishment to allow all list readers the option to blitz an unsuspecting poster with receipt confirmations.

Agreed. Whenever I see those receipt confirmations come up I always think of spammers getting hundreds of them back, confirmation of a valid email address.

Adam

--
Patrick Rittich
prittich@dowco.com