Re: call for a vote -- should debian-user mailing list replies go to author or to list?

On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 09:56:20PM -0700, David Christensen wrote:
> debian users:
>
> I am tired of replying to messages on this list, only to realize that my reply
> went to the message author and not to the list.  It is my understanding that the
> people in charge of this list think that his behavior is a feature, not a bug.
> I disagree.
>

> I acknowledge that this issue can be argued back and forth indefinitely, and
> will never be unanimously decided.  Therefore, I call for a simple majority vote
> to decide the matter, with a cutoff for voting of 72 hours from the time this
> message is posted.
>

> I vote for "Reply to list".

David, as many have pointed out, it all depends on the mailer that you
use, Some adhere to rules, some don't. Of course you have all the
right in the world to use any mailer you want, including Outlook. I
personally use mutt, which gives me no trouble with 'L'. I haven't
used Outlook for so long now, that I have no idea what should be done
there. But some solution must be somewhere for its users. I personally
don't care much about this issue, since from mutt I can always solve
the problem in my debian box (may be some recipe). For now at least I
would keep the things the way they are. What I find outlandish is the
deadline for the vote, I would say that first all or most would have
to agree to consider the matter, including may be the list master
him/her self. And then some deadline could come up, if decided the
discussion to take place.