Re: call for a vote -- should debian-user mailing list replies go to author or to list?

On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 12:47:22PM +0530, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 09:56:20PM -0700, David Christensen wrote:
> > debian users:
> >
> > I am tired of replying to messages on this list, only to realize that my reply
> > went to the message author and not to the list.  It is my understanding that the
> > people in charge of this list think that his behavior is a feature, not a bug.
> > I disagree.
> >

> How about this: write a procmail recipe to add a Reply-To header for
> all mails from debian-user.
>
> That would do the trick without hurting list settings.

I'm using mutt, which hardly makes me unusual here, I imagine, and
I can either press 'L' to reply to the list or 'r' to reply to the
poster off-list.  Don't other mail clients have similar facilities?

The original poster obviously knew nothing about such things, but
how should he have known?  I remember having the same problem when
I started: using the 'r' command and cc-ing the list by hand, thus
delivering two copies to the OP.

This seems to be just one of those dozens (hundreds, thousands...)
of little things that are all there somewhere in some documentation
but that a newcomer can't be expected to look for because he/she just
doesn't visualise their existence.

(This is not intended as a reply to your message, Kumar, but I'd
deleted the previous messages before I thought of replying on the
topic in general.)

Cheers,
David

--
David Jardine

"Running Debian GNU/Linux and
loving every minute of it."  -L. von Sacher-M.(1835-1895)