Re: ppp & eth0

--- Haldor Riddering <haldor.riddering@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
> I just installed sarge on my machine, just
> disconnected the harddrives
> and installed a
> fresh new one for trialing so have no worries with
> partitions or windows
> getting in the way.

[snip]
> near future I want to be able to network the various
> machines I have up
> together and still be able to dialup
> and surf/mail on this computer and later apt update
> the other machines
> through this as a gateway.

[snip]

> Haldor

Hello Haldor,

The only thing you need to do is define your ppp0 as
your default gw and that's all. Explain brefly in the
following lines ok:

1. Dial up whith whichever program you like

2. Configure your ethernet card with ifconfig conmmand
or atomatically.

3. once you are done
# route -n
this will show wich is your default gw you can
identify it because under the header of "Flags" you
will see an
UG.

4. Ok now you must delete this gw if it exist if not
see the next step:
# route del default gw [the address that you get in
the step above]

5. Finally you must set your default gw to the address
of your ppp0 connection.
# route add default gw [your ppp0 ip address]

6. Ping to an internal machine and some external
address, it should work
# ping [ip internal]
# ping www.yahoo.com

Note: Do not forget to check that your dns's are
working.

that is all, you must edit /etc/network/interfaces for
do it atomatically.

Reagrds

Hope this help.

--
Sergio Basurto J.

If I have seen further it is by standing on the
shoulders of giants. (Isaac Newton)