ppp & eth0

Hi,
I just installed sarge on my machine, just disconnected the harddrives and installed a fresh new one for trialing so have no worries with partitions or windows getting in the way. The idea is to move away from windows altogether at a later stage though my laptop will always
be xp as network & modem are not supported.

anyways I had given debian a go when woody came out a fair while back now and had the same sort of problem I am having now. I use kppp to dialup, and after working out modem is ttyS0 dials up alright but cannot ping anything or surf anything. I vaguely remembered that if I ifdown eth0 it all works fine. how can I make them play together. at this stage it's fine as I am still mucking around but in the near future I want to be able to network the various machines I have up together and still be able to dialup and surf/mail on this computer and later apt update the other machines through this as a gateway.

also I wanted to get pon working how do I configure the provider settings to set number,user,pass etc. It's been so long and brief fling with woody that I have forgotten what the commands are to configure all the bits and pieces..

I am impressed by the new installer. everything seems to work out of the box this time :)

cheers for your help

Haldor