Re: Exim4 woes, esmtp package, mailx (was "do I have to use Exim?")

Kumar Appaiah wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 11:10:29AM -0400, Scott Fitzgerald wrote:
>> I am migrating from Woody to Sarge.  In Woody, the initial install got
>> internal email to work "out of the box."  What do I mean by this?  I mean
>> you could set up multiple logins, and from one, you could type in the
>> command "mail scott", type the message, hit ctrl-d and it would work.
>>
>> On Sarge, you can set up exim4 for local delivery only, use the mail
>> command and it will look like it worked, but the mail never arrived in my
>> /var/mail
>> directory.  Big mystery where it went.
>
> I understand your frustration, but you could try this, if you are game
> to install exim4 one final time. If not, ignore this message.
>
> Install exim4 and edit /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf to look like
> this:
>
> dc_eximconfig_configtype='localhost'
> dc_other_hostnames='localhost.localdomain'
> dc_local_interfaces='127.0.0.1'
> dc_readhost='debian'
> dc_relay_domains=''
> dc_minimaldns='false'
> dc_relay_nets=''
> dc_smarthost=''
> CFILEMODE='644'
> dc_use_split_config='false'
> dc_hide_mailname='false'
> dc_mailname_in_oh='true'
>
> Also, edit /etc/mailname, make sure is has your fully qualified domain
> name.
>
> Finally, run update-exim4.conf. Restart exim4.
>
> If sending mail to yourself still doesn't work, sorry!
>
> Kumar

Thanks, Kumar, I will be trying this.  I will, of course, let the group know
how I do.

In my zeal to find something simpler for what I wanted to do, I managed
to mess up my system to the point where I will  format my disks and
re-install sarge again.  Then I will stick to exim, as it is the default
for confirmed debian guys like myself.  When I get my system reinstalled
I will pull down this thread and try all the tips given me and let the group
know how I did.  If it does not work out, you might see a few more questions
for help, but I will be sticking to the default of exim.  I am determined
now to learn this package, there must be a way to make it work!

I want to thank linux.debian.user for all the help, twenty replies makes
this a great group to be a member of!

---
Scotty