Exim4 woes, esmtp package, mailx (was "do I have to use Exim?")

Reading over the thread I have to hope that I did sound as if I were
knocking Exim.  I am sure it is a fine mailer.  It just is not working.

I am migrating from Woody to Sarge.  In Woody, the initial install got
internal email to work "out of the box."  What do I mean by this?  I mean
you could set up multiple logins, and from one, you could type in the
command "mail scott", type the message, hit ctrl-d and it would work.

On Sarge, you can set up exim4 for local delivery only, use the mail command
and it will look like it worked, but the mail never arrived in my /var/mail
directory.  Big mystery where it went.

I managed to get exim off my system, and get esmtp on.  It all looks
alright, but now when I try to use the mail command I get
"SMTP server problem Temporary failure in name resolution
can't send mail, sendmail process failed with error code 69"

[mind you, I am not actually using sendmail, esmtp is a sendmail clone]

so here I am, a computer hobbyist who maybe gets seven hours a week on his
system, and I am wrestling with internal email after reloading sarge
from CDROM three times.  It is incredibly frustrating, I just want to cry,
actually.  To add to my frustration, dig this....

I can't even get a troubleshooting chart by searching google for sendmail
errors!  and to make it worse, I can't get back to exim to re-install.

I might have to reload all of sarge again from CDrom.  I mean, if my choices
really are sendmail, postfix, or exim, I might as well learn the default.

In the end, I might just have to live having exim running in the background,
but routing all my  emails to never-never-land, and have to stick to
using my ISP even for emails within my home.  Maybe I can just use deliver
on top of exim, and leave exim running in the background but not delivering
anything.

But please, don't get me wrong, I know exim is a great package.  What I am
saying is I wish there were another way for me.  I wish the install process
for sarge would not default to that package.  The manual is 1.3 megabytes.
---
Scotty
who will never disrespect a windows person for saying linux it too complex
again.