Re: Exim4 woes, esmtp package, mailx (was "do I have to use Exim?")

On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 11:10:29AM -0400, Scott Fitzgerald wrote:
> I am migrating from Woody to Sarge.  In Woody, the initial install got
> internal email to work "out of the box."  What do I mean by this?  I mean
> you could set up multiple logins, and from one, you could type in the
> command "mail scott", type the message, hit ctrl-d and it would work.
>
> On Sarge, you can set up exim4 for local delivery only, use the mail command
> and it will look like it worked, but the mail never arrived in my /var/mail
> directory.  Big mystery where it went.

I understand your frustration, but you could try this, if you are game
to install exim4 one final time. If not, ignore this message.

Install exim4 and edit /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf to look like
this:

dc_eximconfig_configtype='localhost'
dc_other_hostnames='localhost.localdomain'
dc_local_interfaces='127.0.0.1'
dc_readhost='debian'
dc_relay_domains=''
dc_minimaldns='false'
dc_relay_nets=''
dc_smarthost=''
CFILEMODE='644'
dc_use_split_config='false'
dc_hide_mailname='false'
dc_mailname_in_oh='true'

Also, edit /etc/mailname, make sure is has your fully qualified domain
name.

Finally, run update-exim4.conf. Restart exim4.

If sending mail to yourself still doesn't work, sorry!

Kumar
--
Kumar Appaiah,
462, Jamuna Hostel,