Re: New Debian installation

On Sun, Aug 21, 2005 at 12:28:03AM +0200, Alex The Koala wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My old "server" machine is croaking and I'm going to get a
> replacement. Of course, Debian is getting installed here.
>
> I have been off the hardware loop and the Debian-installing loop for
> some time and I have two questions:
>
> 1) SATA support: namely, does Debian support it out of the box? I
> guess I'll have to choose a 2.6 kernel during installation to use
> it.

Yes, with a 2.6 kernel. New 2.4.x kernels may have it, but do go for 2.6.x.

> 2) Installing testing: what's the suggested way? Use the stable
> netinst and set it to install testing or use a testing snapshot? I'm
> worried about "stability" of the testing installer (or rather, I guess
> the stable netinst image will be 100% rock-solid, whereas testing
> might be 99.9% :)

I have been installing Debian from the net (using an existing
GNU/Linux distro and booting into the installer). It detects my
hardware and my SATA drive et al. It works for me, but YMMV.

Also, make sure you choose the 2.6 kernel installer.

HTH.

Kumar

--
Kumar Appaiah,