Re: Kernel modules loaded twice

Piero Piutti wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I run Etch with a custom build 2.6.12 kernel ("vanilla" with the CK patches
> applied and built using kpkg). The kernel has been configured according to my
> hardware (my pc is a HP NX9010 notebook) and it works nicely.
>
> I have noticed though that during the boot sequence, a few errors appear
> regarding some modules: i2c-ali1535, i2c-ali15x3 and joydev complain that
> they are "already loaded", while rtc "can't be loaded" (it looks like rtc.ko
> cannot be found). Despite these glitches the system runs fine. I'm about to
> recompile the kernel to further tune it and I would like to get rid of these
> messages. What can I do?
>
> Output of lsmod is following (hoping it is useful):
>
> adam:~# lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by
> snd_pcm_oss            53920  0
> snd_mixer_oss          20096  2 snd_pcm_oss
> lp                     12484  0
> irtty_sir               9216  0
> sir_dev                19756  1 irtty_sir
> parport_pc             36804  1
> i2c_ali15x3             7940  0
> i2c_ali1535             7300  0
> nls_cp437               5888  1
> sr_mod                 18084  0
> sbp2                   25096  0
> genrtc                 10504  0
> joydev                 10176  0
> unix                   29616  389
>
> Thanks in advance,

Hello

I think that "discover" or "hotplug" packages are trying to load
whatever modules match your hardware.I personally do not like such
automatic stuff. Try to configure /etc/discover* or /etc/hotplug*  files
to avoid loading modules by discover or hotplug.. If you do not use
discover, you can uninstall it and load your modules manually in
/etc/modules.

I remember that discover has got some kind of "skip module_name" in its
config file to avoid automatic loading of modules.

If rtc.ko module is not found it means that you did not compile it as a
module and is compiled directly into the kernel.

Hope this helps.

Ramiro.