Re: Kernel modules loaded twice

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 03:32:15PM +0200, Piero Piutti wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I run Etch with a custom build 2.6.12 kernel ("vanilla" with the CK patches
> applied and built using kpkg). The kernel has been configured according to my
> hardware (my pc is a HP NX9010 notebook) and it works nicely.
>
> I have noticed though that during the boot sequence, a few errors appear
> regarding some modules: i2c-ali1535, i2c-ali15x3 and joydev complain that
> they are "already loaded", while rtc "can't be loaded" (it looks like rtc.ko
> cannot be found). Despite these glitches the system runs fine. I'm about to
> recompile the kernel to further tune it and I would like to get rid of these
> messages. What can I do?
>
> Output of lsmod is following (hoping it is useful):
>
> adam:~# lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by
> snd_pcm_oss            53920  0
> snd_mixer_oss          20096  2 snd_pcm_oss
> lp                     12484  0
> irtty_sir               9216  0
> sir_dev                19756  1 irtty_sir
> parport_pc             36804  1
> i2c_ali15x3             7940  0
> i2c_ali1535             7300  0
> nls_cp437               5888  1
> sr_mod                 18084  0
> sbp2                   25096  0
> genrtc                 10504  0
> joydev                 10176  0
> unix                   29616  389

It would be helpful if you also included your .config.  You are probably
getting the "already loaded" error because two different processes try
to load the same modules.  For example, you have a module loaded by
/etc/modules and later hotplug comes along and tries to reload the same
module.  The rtc error may be because it is statically compiled, which
would be revealed by looking in your .config.

-Roberto
--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto