Re: Firefox and Debian Testing: Getting Security Updates?

On 2005-08-17 23:17:01 -0500, a.list.address@gmail.com wrote:
> That's it?  What about setting it up so that simply running "firefox"
> from anywhere executes the version installed in /opt/firefox?  Do you
> make a link in /usr/bin, overwriting the file there,
[...]

You should never touch /usr/bin or you may break your system.
/usr/local is here for things you install yourself as root,
and /usr/local/bin is at the beginning of the default $PATH
(see /etc/profile), so everything is fine with it. A symlink
should be sufficient for Firefox.

If for some reason you need other directories in $PATH for all
users, you can modify the /etc/profile file.

> *sigh*  Why does it have to be so hard?  I hate Windows, but it's not
> even this hard on Windows.

Once you know how to do this, this is really easy.