Re: Keep the NVIDIA driver for different kernel releases

On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 04:55:43AM -0400, Mauricio Lin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 8/18/05, Adam Mercer <ramercer@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 18/08/05, Mauricio Lin <mauriciolin@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > How can I compile and install the NVIDIA driver for kernel 2.6.12.5
> > > without removing the old installed driver for kernel 2.6.12?
> >
> > I take it you're using the nVidia installer direct from nVidia, not
> > the debian packages?
>
> I am not using any .deb package.
>
> Well, I do as follow:
>
> $ sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7676-pkg1.run
>
> Any comments?

Yeah.  Use the .deb package, unless you have a good reason for not doing
so.  It also allows you to install a new kernel and the new nVidia
drivers at the sime time, without a reboot in between.  So you can get
away with only rebooting once instead of twice.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto