Re: Keep the NVIDIA driver for different kernel releases

On 8/18/05, Mauricio Lin <mauriciolin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I use Debian Sarge and recently I installed the nvidia driver on kernel
> 2.6.12.
> It works perfectly.
>
> But when I compiled and installed the kernel 2.6.12.5, I had to
> install the nvidia driver again, since the newest kernel was not able
> to detect the old nvidia driver compiled for kernel 2.6.12.
>
> AFAIK the NVIDIA driver is compiled specifically for each kernel. But
> when I compile and install the NVIDIA driver for kernel 2.6.12.5, the
> nvidia-installer removes the driver for kernel 2.6.12.
>
> So I can load X server from the running kernel 2.6.12.5, but the
> kernel 2.6.12 is not able to load the X server anymore, since during
> the installation of NVIDIA driver for kernel 2.6.12.5 the
> nvidia-installer removed the old driver.
>
> How can I compile and install the NVIDIA driver for kernel 2.6.12.5
> without removing the old installed driver for kernel 2.6.12?

Mauricio,

As someone already mentioned, use the -K option to the installer. I
recently upgraded to 2.6.12-1-686 and I compiled an nvidia module for
the new kernel like so:

# sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7667-pkg1.run -K

I also have kernel 2.6.12-1-686-smp. To add the nvidia module for that
kernel without removing the first one, I do

# sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7667-pkg1.run -K --kernel-name=2.6.12-1-686-smp

(not that to do this, I believe the kernel you are adding must not be
running). Also, make sure you installed the kernel headers.

I am using the nvidia installer rather than the Debian package for no
particular reason. The Debian driver is a little behind (7174 I think)
and Nvidia fixed some bugs since then. But then again, their driver
has tons of remaining bugs. If you completely uninstall your current
modules and use the Debian package, the procedure may be much simpler.

Good luck,
Dominique