Re: Printer & localhost:631

On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 09:53:01AM +1000, Marie-Louise wrote:
> This is the message that is in /var/log/cups/error_log
>
> I [18/Aug/2005:08:37:47 +1000] Listening to 0:631
> [...]
> E [18/Aug/2005:08:37:49 +1000] StartListening: Unable to find IP address
> for server name "ariestao" - Host name lookup failure

The last message seems to be the root of the problem.  Your machine has
a host name of ariestao, but the resolver doesn't know how to translate
this into an IP address. Try the following command:
ping -c1 ariestao

If this produces an error message like
"ping: unknown host ariestao",
the easiest way to fix this would be to add a line to /etc/hosts with
the hosts IP address and the hostname:
192.168.xxx.yyy  ariestao
(adjust 192.168.xxx.yyy to match your actual IP)
Check again with ping afterwards.

If you get a different error, and cannot interpret it, please post it
here.

> # telnet localhost 631
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection timed out

That seems like your networking setup is broken, or you have a firewall
which drops packages. If networking was OK, and no server process was
listening on port 631, you would get the following error:

> # /sbin/fuser -n tcp 631
> -su: /sbin/fuser: No such file or directory

The error message gives you a hint why the command failed: On Debian
systems, the fuser command is not in /sbin/fuser, but in /bin/fuser.

Try the following command instead (as root):
fuser -n tcp 631

Or better yet (also as root):
netstat -atnp | grep 631

> Its not a firewall problem, because nothing changes even when there is no
> firewall or I use the command :- # iptables -nL INPUT

Does the command "iptables-save" output anything?

Mirko