Re: Firefox and Debian Testing: Getting Security Updates?

On 8/18/05, Jonathan Kaye <jonathan.kaye@univie.ac.at> wrote:
>>  Or do you make a custom
> > launcher that directly runs the version in /opt (which would be less
> > than ideal for a multiuser system)?
> I don't follow you here. Why would it be "less than ideal"?

It would be less than ideal because then each user on the system would
have to set up a launcher on their desktop to /opt/firefox/firefox,
instead of simply using the built-in Debian launchers in the menu, or
running "firefox".  You also would need to manually configure GNOME or
KDE to know where Firefox is.  Debian takes care of that for you when
you use Debian packages.

> <rant> *sigh*??? What's hard? You described how you did it from a
> mozilla tarball and it works fine. I'm a total idiot and I find debian
> much easier to install upgrade and in general work with than any other
> system I've used since JCL and CPM. My girlfriend just got a spanking
> new Acer Aspire laptop with (arrggghhh) XP installed. After one hour of
> trying to get our network setup we ripped it out and installed Debian
> Sarge via netinst, upgraded to Etch and everything is purring along like
> a happy kitten. Total time: 3h30 most of which was waiting for the
> packages to download. </rant>

Hey, don't get me wrong, I *love* Debian, and it's much easier than
Windows.  It's just this one package of Firefox (and Tb) which, when
using Testing, are a little harder to keep up-to-date.