Re: lame not in the debian package repository?

On 17. August 2005 at 6:04PM +0200,
Hans du Plooy <hansdp-lists@sagacit.com> wrote:

[...]

> Ogg (Vorbis audio) is a much more recent technology than mp3, twenty or
> so years if I'm not mistaken.  mp3 has been around a lot longer than it
> has been popular, mostly because PCs only became strong enough to play
> back mp3s smoothly around the time of the 386/486.  And of course saving
> audio was a drag in those days because of space :-)

If that's the case the patent on mp3 should have expired by
now. If I'm not mistaken (and I'm also shooting in the dark here)
patents are good for 15 years. Unless of course Fraunhofer took
its sweet time applying for their mp3 patent.

[...]