Re: lame not in the debian package repository?

Javier-Elias Vasquez-Vivas wrote:
How about flac?  Is there any comparisson between flac and Ogg in
terms of compresion and sound quality?

Flac is lossless compression. Almost like zipping a wav file, the compression is just optimised for the type of data in an audio stream.

Ogg does the same thing as mp3, it just does it a lot better. It cuts out some (how much depends on the quality value or bitrate you specify) things that the human ear supposedly cannot hear, to save space, and then compresses it. This is called lossy encoding.

Ogg (Vorbis audio) is a much more recent technology than mp3, twenty or so years if I'm not mistaken. mp3 has been around a lot longer than it has been popular, mostly because PCs only became strong enough to play back mp3s smoothly around the time of the 386/486. And of course saving audio was a drag in those days because of space :-)

I don't know the exact dates or specs, but I know mp3 (MPEG 2 layer 3 I think) has been around for a while.

Hans