Re: why upgrade kernel?

dzpost@dedekind.net wrote:

I have a couple of machines which I'm in the process of upgrading to
Sarge.  I'm wondering about whether to upgrade the kernels.  They're
all running some version of 2.4, which I've built for the particular
machines.  If I don't get new hardware which need newer drivers, and I
don't care about any of the fancy new features of 2.6 (whatever those
are), is there any benefit in upgrading the kernel?  Will newer
versions of some packages eventually need a newer kernel?

There are some changes from 2.4 to 2.6. I haven't been able to sort out all the changes on my machine yet. However, I'm at the point where a little knowledge is a dangerous
thing.

I would advise you to stay with the 2.4 kernel since it is already working for you. If later you want something like ALSA or udev, then consider a 2.6 kernel. By that time the ongoing
development of the 2.6 kernel should be in better shape.

You might want to install the packages apt-listbugs and apt-listchanges, if you can use them, to tell you if an upgrade of one of your installed packages actually needs or requires a 2.6 kernel. (I've
just installed them myself since I saw them recommended in another thread.)

--
(Mr.) Gayle Lee Fairless, http://counter.li.org/, No. 365760.
Linux Gcomm 2.4.18-bf2.4 #1 Son Apr 14 09:53:28 CEST 2002 i686 GNU/Linux