Re: Running multiple desktops...

Brent Clark wrote:
Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

[3] a list of all 2.6.x patches. I run 2.6.11 at the moment, 2 monitors on TNT2 AGP and MX-440 PCI.

Hi

Just out of interest
Can you use 2 PCI cards.

Of course.

If so, are there any catchs I need to be aware of (since my machine is a dual boot, I wonder is the same can be achieved with wintendo)

Ruby bears no relation to dual boot.

The Ruby kernel patch corrects a Linux fault: you can have zillions of devices but only 1 keyboard. With Ruby you have one keyboard per virtual terminal. E.g. the problem is not several mice, or several monitors, or several whatevers, but several keyboards Linus nixed for some reason.

That is all that is needed in Debian: XFree86 already has the IsolateDevice= option.

The HOWTO describes how to set up the several mice, monitors, keyboards.

You then have to patch the kernel with a (B)ruby patch.

It will also depend on your videocards. I have Nvidia but I think matrox would be better. With matroxfb and 2.6.9-ruby you have virtual consoles on all monitors. (But no longer post 2.6.9) With Nvidia, I only have vc's on the primary monitor

The latest Ruby patch is a patch to 2.6.13-mm1 on the console project mailing list. Like I said, I use 2.6.11 now with the vz93 patch of James Van Zeeland.

Dual boot is just something that hangs off the master boot record, whatever it might be. Ruby does its business after the system boots.