Re: Running multiple desktops...

Bill Day wrote:
OK, while wifes computer is down and waiting on fan to arrive I decided to investigate the option of running multiple desktops on my computer on different vt's. I found this article: http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Configuring_X#Setting_up_Multiple_X_Sessions_on_a_Single_Monitor to work however when I do it under her login it automagically brings up GNOME desktop, which she does not like, where do I make the change for her to get KDE desktop at?

But if you forget about the wife's computer and just use a PCI videocard in your PC and connect her monitor, keyboard and mouse, add her disk(s), then you have multi-user Linux.

More interesting solution. More cost-effective. Much different from the usual m$ stuff.

[1] the HOWTO do it. It involves a kernel patch. Debian XFree86 already has the pieces that are needed: IsolateDevice=
[2] the project (called Ruby) mailing list
[3] a list of all 2.6.x patches. I run 2.6.11 at the moment, 2 monitors on TNT2 AGP and MX-440 PCI.
[4] the 2.4.x patches: no FB and this is called Bruby, for "Backstreet Ruby"

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/XFree-Local-multi-user-HOWTO/  [1]
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_id=5379 [2]
http://members.westnet.com.au/vanzeeland/ [3]
http://disjunkt.com/dualhead/ [4]