Re: KDE or gnome: How to keep screen saver on - ie No shutdown of screen to black

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 10:35:12 +0200
palme@uni-wuppertal.de (Hubert Palme) wrote:

> Seems to me that KDE uses xscreensaver, but I'm not sure -- the
> cooperation netween KDE and X is pretty inscrutable for me.
>
> In the "KDE control center" (KControl) I find "Attached devices"
> (Angeschlossene Geräte) -> "Display" (Anzeige), and there a tab "Power
> Management" (Energiekontrolle). That is shut off. Is this the place
> you mean?
>
> I had to retranslate it to English (German texts in parentheses) -- I
> hope I did it quite correct ;-)
>
> Thanks, HP.

Not quite, there apparently /are/ differences between KDE's method of
screen saving and the xscreensaver package as I know and love it.

Invoke xscreensaver, when the first window comes up choose <settings>.
The next window is 'Xscreensaver Preferences' and has two tabs, 'Display
Modes' and 'Advanced.' Choose 'Advanced' and uncheck the box by 'Power
Management Enabled.'  With luck and having waved your dead chicken
correctly, that will do it.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Q: What's the difference between MicroSoft Windows and a virus?
A: Apart from the fact that viruses are supported by their authors,