Re: KDE or gnome: How to keep screen saver on - ie No shutdown of screen to black

 C> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 10:35:12 +0200
 C> palme@uni-wuppertal.de (Hubert Palme) wrote:

 >> Seems to me that KDE uses xscreensaver, but I'm not sure -- the
 >> cooperation netween KDE and X is pretty inscrutable for me.
 >> =20
 >> In the "KDE control center" (KControl) I find "Attached devices"
 >> (Angeschlossene Ger=E4te) -> "Display" (Anzeige), and there a tab "Power
 >> Management" (Energiekontrolle). That is shut off. Is this the place
 >> you mean?
 >> =20
 >> I had to retranslate it to English (German texts in parentheses) -- I
 >> hope I did it quite correct ;-)
 >> =20
 >> Thanks, HP.

 C> Not quite, there apparently /are/ differences between KDE's method of
 C> screen saving and the xscreensaver package as I know and love it.

 C> Invoke xscreensaver, when the first window comes up choose <settings>.
 C> The next window is 'Xscreensaver Preferences' and has two tabs, 'Display
 C> Modes' and 'Advanced.' Choose 'Advanced' and uncheck the box by 'Power
 C> Management Enabled.'  With luck and having waved your dead chicken
 C> correctly, that will do it.

No, xscreensaver isn't active, and btw. 'Power Management' is
disabled. I only use kscreensaver.

But anyway, the problem seems to be solved: In the panel I mentioned
above, I enabled the power management and then I disabled it
again. That did the job. -- A bug ?!?

Sincerely, HP.

Dipl.-Math. Hubert Palme        Bergische Universitaet Wuppertal
                                      Computing  Center
                                      D-42097 Wuppertal
E-Mail: palme@uni-wuppertal.de             (Germany)
http://www.hrz.uni-wuppertal.de/hrz/personen/h_palme.html