Re: XTerm and Bitstream Vera

On 2005-08-14 17:47:12 +0200, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> Vincent Lefevre:
> > The fonts "fixed" and Bitstream Vera Monospace size 8 are OK for that,
> > but with BVM size 8, the accented characters look strange.
>
> I don't agree but size 8 is way to small on my display anyway. There is
> always a tradeoff between screen usage and legibility and most of the
> time I prefer the latter.

In fact, I remember that the real size also depends on the DPI.
I have the following in my .Xresources file:

! 88 is the right value so that the 8pt monospace font in gnome-terminal
! has the same width as the 8pt-10pt bitmap fixed font. 96 is too much.
Xft.dpi:                88

Why 8pt? Because this is the smallest font size I can select in
gnome-terminal for some fonts. If I use something more than 88,
I can't select fonts that are small enough to put two terminals
side by side on my PowerBook.

Perhaps I could get used to the ugly accented characters, but the
comma is even worse: it is just a small vertical bar.

> > With xterm, I can use the font "fixed", but selection in xterm is
> > buggy (e.g. when using screen). With gnome-terminal, I can't use
> > the font "fixed".
>
> You can. Just 'dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig' and answer 'Yes' to the
> last question (something about bitmap fonts).

No, it allows to select the font "fixed", but doesn't use the *real*
font "fixed". I think this is bug 264993.

> And as I already mentioned: if you like gnome-terminal

I don't like it very much, due to the font problems and because
it doesn't honour some of my xmodmap settings. There are other
problems when I want to use it with a shell: it uses the UTF-8
encoding in UTF-8 locales (not configurable) and it selects
TERM=xterm, so that "tput enacs" fails, though it supports the
ACS.

The main advantage over xterm is that it doesn't lose the primary
selection as soon as it is no longer visible. I searched for other
terminals in the past, but all of them were worse.

> (and are prepared to run a non-sarge system),

No problem for me.

> you are problably better off using xce4-terminal.

Where can I find it? "apt-file search xce4-terminal" doesn't return
anything.

> Startup time is significantly shorter on my machine and it offers
> all the features you are used to from gnome-terminal.

If it doesn't have the problems of gnome-terminal, and supports
different encodings (ISO-8859-1 and UTF-8 at least), and if
copy-paste doesn't suck, then this should be OK.