CD file copying problem with kernel 2.6

I dual boot this computer to Debian 3.1 Sarge with kernel 2.6 and Windows
2000. Some time ago I created some VCDs on the Windows 2000, using
Nero, on a Sony CDRW. Now I tried to copy the video file, named avseq01.dat,
from the VCD, and it fails every time.  I can copy the file easily to Windows
2000, but with Debian Sarge it fails.   Does anybody have a solution for this
problem. I don't think it's a CD hardware problem, because I can copy the
files from the CD using Windows 2000. This Debian Sarge, as I said, has
kernel 2.6, and it uses ide-cd, the latest. Also, I can copy relatively small
files from the VCD to linux, but as soon as I try the big ones, say 400 mb,
it fails. Maybe there is a timeout or a buffer setting somewhere that I could
tweak to get this to work. Anybody know?
- persall88 @ sbcglobal.net