Re: XTerm and Bitstream Vera

Vincent Lefevre:
> On 2005-08-14 15:18:43 +0200, Jochen Schulz wrote:
>
> > The Monospace font looks good with at least size 9 on my screen (14"
> > laptop, 1024x768).
>
> Ditto here. Unfortunately, with size 9, two side-to-side xterm's don't
> fit on my screen (and 3 side-to-side xterm's don't fit on 1600x1200).

That's a pity, I agree. Nevertheless I decided some months ago that I'd
like to use TrueType fonts in all applications. The only program that I
regularly run with a bitmap font is root-tail.

> The fonts "fixed" and Bitstream Vera Monospace size 8 are OK for that,
> but with BVM size 8, the accented characters look strange.

I don't agree but size 8 is way to small on my display anyway. There is
always a tradeoff between screen usage and legibility and most of the
time I prefer the latter.

> With xterm, I can use the font "fixed", but selection in xterm is
> buggy (e.g. when using screen). With gnome-terminal, I can't use the
> font "fixed".

You can. Just 'dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig' and answer 'Yes' to the last
question (something about bitmap fonts). And as I already mentioned: if
you like gnome-terminal (and are prepared to run a non-sarge system),
you are problably better off using xce4-terminal. Startup time is
significantly shorter on my machine and it offers all the features you
are used to from gnome-terminal.

J.
--
I'm being paid to act weirdly.