Re: SiI 3112A + Seagate HDs = still no go?

tigergutt wrote:

søn, 14,.08.2005 kl. 10.31 +0100, skrev Chris Boot:
tigergutt wrote:

tor, 11,.08.2005 kl. 18.59 +0100, skrev Chris Boot:

Hi all,

I just recently took the plunge and bought 4 250 GB Seagate drives and a 2 port Silicon Image 3112A controller card for the 2 drives my motherboard doesn't handle. No matter how hard I try, I can't get the hard drives to work: they are detected correctly and work reasonably well under _very_ light load, but anything like building a RAID array is a bit much and the whole controller seems to lock up.

I can't remember the exact kernel messages, and I've unplugged the drives for now, but they were exactly like those in the following posts:
http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-ide@vger.kernel.org/msg00958.html
http://www.thisishull.net/archive/index.php/t-21928.html

All of these people seemed to be having trouble a good while ago, and other than the blacklist fix (which I have tried...) there seem to be no solutions to the problem at all. I can't seem to find any PCI controller cards not based on the SiI chipset (even the expensive ones) to replace my current card, either.

Needless to say the drives on my internal VIA controller work like a charm.

Has anyone run unto this problem?
Like this ?

http://www.google.no/search?hl=no&q=sata_sil+mod15+quirk+with
+Seagate&btnG=Google-s%C3%B8k&meta=

Nope, I ended up debugging the problem on LKML and Linux-IDE, where we figured out it was a faulty controller...

Glad you found an solution after all.

Any fixes?
Maybe.
I swapped the disk for an maxtor :)

In my case, that wouldn't have helped me at all. :-(

True.

Still makes me newer buy an seagate disk again.
Apparently the newer 7200.8 drives are much better and don't have any of the mod15 trouble. Mine work like a treat, and they're whisper-quiet, which is why I bought them.

Chris

--
Chris Boot
bootc@bootc.net