Re: Any package on Debian to convert a WAVE file into MP3?

On Sun, Aug 14, 2005 at 02:00:14AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 14 August 2005 01:18, Paul Johnson wrote:
> >On Saturday 13 August 2005 10:08 pm, Rishi wrote:
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> Is there any program on Debian that can convert a wave file into
> >> mp3?
> >
> >No, because of BMG Music's patent on MPEG Layer 3 encoders.  There are
> >unofficial packages for encoders (like lame) available from sources
> >that can be readily found at http://www.apt-get.org/ .  If you want a
> >100% Debian's-idea-of-free way of accomplishing the same thing, look
> >into the patent-unencumbered Ogg Vorbis format instead.
>
> Shame, you forgot to mention that ogg/vorbis files of the same source, and
> the same size as the .mp3 files would be, sound better in almost any a/b
> comparison.

I have to agree there as well.  I digitize my church's sermons and put
them online on our website.  I chose ogg/vorbis for two reasons:

- patents
- size

For obvious reasons I didn't want to go with wma/mp3/real/whatever.  But
the size issue was a real clincher as well.  I encode at mono/22.05 kHz
and most files that contain about 30 minutes of audio weigh in at about
8 MB.  I think I experimented with mp3 for a few of them and found that
typically they would be 25-50% bigger.  With the 8 MB for 30 minutes,
the size is small enough that someone can actually listen to it while
downloading over a 56k connection.  In the end, it is superior
technology.  It will be nice once more hardware starts supporting it.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto