Re: Any package on Debian to convert a WAVE file into MP3?

On Saturday 13 August 2005 11:00 pm, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 14 August 2005 01:18, Paul Johnson wrote:
> >On Saturday 13 August 2005 10:08 pm, Rishi wrote:
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> Is there any program on Debian that can convert a wave file into
> >> mp3?
> >
> >No, because of BMG Music's patent on MPEG Layer 3 encoders.  There
> > are unofficial packages for encoders (like lame) available from
> > sources that can be readily found at http://www.apt-get.org/ .
> > If you want a 100% Debian's-idea-of-free way of accomplishing the
> > same thing, look into the patent-unencumbered Ogg Vorbis format
> > instead.
>
> Shame, you forgot to mention that ogg/vorbis files of the same
> source, and the same size as the .mp3 files would be, sound better
> in almost any a/b comparison.

I figured I would let someone who knew the details pipe up on that
part, as I'm not totally down with the benchmark comparisons between
the two.  I would love it if someone could post what quantitative
comparisons that can be made between the two formats, however.