RESOLVED (downgrade usbmgr) Re: USB Mouse, /dev/input/mice: No such device

So I futzed around with a hundred things, and eventually had this idea:
    dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archive/usbmgr_1.0.0-3_i386.deb
(the current version is 1.0.0-4)

And boom - /dev/input/mice is working again.

Thanks for everyone who read this and was as puzzled as me.
-rjk