image partition of 30G to 20G ?

Hello,

Have a question,

I currently HDA that I am using

                    Unusable                       8.23
hda1      Primary   Linux ReiserFS                98.71
hda2 Boot Primary   NTFS                  []   41940.71
                    Unusable                   31881.19
hda3      Primary   Linux ReiserFS         [/] 44326.04
hda5      Logical   Linux swap / Solaris       1776.67

and HDB I am going to use as backup

hdb1 Boot Primary Linux ReiserFS            98.71
hdb2      Primary       NTFS          [] 20003.89
hdb3      Primary Linux ReiserFS         39999.54
hdb5      Logical Linux ReiserFS         39999.54
hdb6      Logical Linux swap / Solaris   19929.86

I want to do a couple of things:

1) Exact copy of hda1, hda2, hda3 onto hdb1, hdb2, hdb3
   the problem here is that I am shinking the partition sizes
   beacuse 1) I don't need all the space and 2) I trying to make
   room to create a test AMD64 system setup.
   I only use WinXP for games and don't need all that space/
   Will a simple dd if=/dev/dha2 of=/dev/hdb2 work even if
   the partition sizes are different?  All info on /dev/hda2
   will fit onto the shunken /dev/hdb2 (hda2 is only using about 10G).
   I haven't had much luck efficiently    resizing the partitions
   on HDA (as is evident) so first I    just want to make sure I
   have a good image of HDA1. HDA2, and    HDA3 and then I want
   to install a Debian AMD64 system on hdb5.

2) I want to use hdb5 to test a AMD64 system.  If I do
   a net install onto /dev/hdb5 will I be prompted to
   use GRUB and the  MBR already on /dev/hda?  I just want
   to make sure I don't make my production system on /dev/hda3
   unbootable.

Lance

                                Lance Hoffmeyer
                              lance@augustmail.com

          The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and
                          governments to gain ground.
                                       -
                                Thomas Jefferson