RE: Can't install on ASUS MB -- need recommendation of MB that wi ll work

> I ordered and built what I thought was my next computer -- dual-core
> Intel 820, asus P5WD2 -- I didn't expect I wouldn't be able to
> install debian because of weird IDE/SATA controller issues: http://
> kerneltrap.org/node/5392. (I tried disabling lots of drivers in
> expert install and changing bios settings, but the netinst disc
> always fails to find the CD-ROM -- probably the PATA disk drive I
> have too if it ever got that far.)

I had a similar problem with a Dell 750. During the first hardware detection
phase you only need to find the CD-ROM. It was sufficient to disbale the
ata_piix module. Before the installer begins the partitioning step, it will
again look for missing modules, and it will load the ata_piix, which will
then find the disks.