RE: udev and kernel 2.6.12

It seems there is a bug in the linux-image-2.6.12 package  - it should depend at least on module-init-tools (responsible for creating initrd) and it does not depend on anything!

As a workaround do the following:

# apt-get update
# apt-get install -f         // for sure
# apt-get install module-init-tools
# apt-get install linux-image-2.6.12-1-686

Debain SID is recently broken more than usually :-(