udev and kernel 2.6.12

Hi

I am trying to upgrade and  have the following error

------------------
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct
these:
  hal: Depends: udev (>= 0.063) but 0.056-2 is to be
installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with
no packages (or specify a solution).
-----------------

I tried to installed newer kernel 2.6.12

and get

erl: warning: Setting locale failed.
        LANGUAGE = "en_US:en_GB:en",
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LANG = "en_US"
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale
("C").
Setting up linux-image-2.6.12-1-386 (2.6.12-1) ...
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
        LANGUAGE = "en_US:en_GB:en",
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LANG = "en_US"
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale
("C").
/usr/sbin/mkinitrd: module-init-tools >= 0.9.13 is
required
Failed to create initrd image.
dpkg: error processing linux-image-2.6.12-1-386
(--install):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error
exit status 9
 linux-image-2.6.12-1-386

how the hell do I get out of this stupid situation?
How can I get the kernel to correctly update with the
correct udev? I am using sid....

Thanks

Manu