RE: udev and kernel 2.6.12

 Strange thing. If I type

# apt-cache policy udev

then I see that the current version of udev is 0.065-1. Do you have your /etc/apt/sources.list set correctly to unstable?

Furthermore, there is apparently something wrong with your locale settings. Try installing localeconf to properly generate locales

# apt-get install localeconf
# reboot

Also try installing the remaining dependancies the linux-image should have  - see the "Depends:" line of e.g.

# apt-cache show kernel-image-2.6.11-1-686

Write angry mail to the new Debian director :-)